The goal of tourism development is to increase the attractiveness of a destination or tourism company and thereby attract more tourists. To reach this goal a tourism development plan/ tourism master plan is needed.
Each tourism company respectively each service provider primarily pursues his own goal. However, most of the time it is not a particular service provider, e.g. a hotel or a tourist attraction, that is the target of travelers. They rather are part of a bundle of services consisting of accommodation, meals, infrastructure, leisure time facilities and so forth, which is perceived as an entity by travelers. Therefore, it is important for every single tourism company to follow an individual tourism development plan. But within the bundle of services of a destination it is at least equally important to work towards a common goal of an overall tourism development plan to use synergetic effects.
The basis of tourism development is represented by a tourism master plan which depicts the potential for development on the fundament of an extensive situation analysis. The procedure of preparing a tourism devolopment plan may be divided as follows:
1. Execution of a comprehensive situation analysis.
- Environmental analysis: The general surrounding conditions, in which the destination respectively the tourism company are moving, are researched.
- Market analysis: The market analysis investigates the relevant market for the company, for example the market for hiking tourism or vegan nutrition.
- Competition analysis including benchmark analysis: The competition analysis shows the intensity of competition and the characteristics of the contestants. With the help of a benchmark analysis a comparison with the most important competitor is drawn.
- Operation and potential analysis: The current state of the destination respectively the tourism company is objectively documented to reveal latent resources. For this purpose the following areas are examined:
- Supply: The currently available supply respectively infrastructure and its capacity are determined.
- Demand: The present visitors are examined carefully to find out who they are and where they are from. In the case of missing the according data the execution of a survey of the guests is advised. Besides, the wishes and needs of the guests can be found out. If the services are used by residents as well a survey of the population can also be meaningful.
- Marketing: The current product, price, promotion and distribution policy are described.
- Organisation: The structure of the destination respectively the tourism company as well as the funding are documented, too.
- SWOT analysis: With the help of the SWOT analysis the results of the situation analysis are consolidated and interpreted. Strengths and weaknesses of the destination respectively the tourism company related to the market and the environment are analyzed; chances and risks are deviated.